Even the best orthodontic treatment in the Denver area can’t keep your smile perfect if you don’t finish your treatment with the proper use of your retainer. Many teens and adults are so excited to get their braces off, they hesitate to keep their retainers in and take good care of them. This step in the orthodontic process is crucial for the long-term success of your new, beautiful smile. Here are a few tips to keep in mind during this phase of your treatment.
- The number one rule is: Always wear your retainer, unless your dentist gives you other instructions.
- There are a few times you should take your retainer out - when you're eating, and when you’re swimming. However, NEVER leave your retainer laying on your lunchroom or Aurora restaurant table or the side of a pool where it can easily be lost or damaged. Instead, put it safely in its case.
- Use warm, not hot, water to clean your retainer every day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. It’s important to remove the bacteria and get rid of odors by brushing. You can use any special orthodontic appliance cleaners or soak your retainer in mouthwash, but those don’t take the place of brushing.
- ALWAYS keep your retainer in its case when it is not in your mouth. You don’t want to see what it might look like if your pet decided to chew on it!
- You might have trouble speaking with your retainer in at first. You can practice talking, reading, or singing out loud to make the transition a little easier.
- Retainers don’t like heat so remember to keep yours away from hot water, hot car dashboards and washing machines. They also don’t like pockets, which can get them into a washing machine, or napkins, which can get them into the trash.
- Remember that your retainer is a relatively delicate orthodontic appliance, so handle yours carefully. If your retainer gets lost or broken, please call one of our Denver area offices immediately.
- Just like your braces, don’t try adjusting your retainer yourself. If you feel like it needs any sort of adjustment or if you have other concerns or questions about your retainer, just give us a call in Aurora or one of our other convenient locations close to you.
- Don’t forget to grab that retainer and bring it with you to your appointments.
- Retainers cost quite a bit of money to replace, but if you take care of your retainer, it will last you many years.
Call Your Denver Area Orthodontist With Retainer Questions
At All About Braces, we want your orthodontic experience to be the best from beginning to end. That means helping you through each phase, from your initial consultation to determine what type of braces and treatment you need, through your regular braces checkups and following braces removal to the retainer-wearing stage. Each step of the process is important for overall success. If you have any questions about your retainer or your braces treatment, please contact us at one of our convenient locations in Aurora or throughout the Denver area. We look forward to working with you to finalizing that beautiful smile you’ve always dreamed of. And, if you want other to have the same great orthodontic treatment, we encourage you to refer a friend.